Darren Dake knows what it’s like to step boldly into your dreams. But boldness does not equal foolishness. In this fast-paced interview, Dake shares the practical tips that helped him transition from desire to doing.
However, be warned . . . Darren’s dream differs from what others might be drawn to, and some of the startling examples he shares could be hard to hear. As a coroner, former law enforcement officer, and host of the podcast, Coroner Talk™, Darren Dake’s norm is anything but normal from what most of us experience. He may sound matter-of-fact, but what he does leaves a lasting, internal impact. Darren’s job is extremely important and the success principles he shares are the same for any dreamer.
Darren recognized a need, and began putting one action step in front of the other, until he ultimately created his own path. He shared the following insights on the show:
“To find your purpose and fulfill your dreams:
#1 Follow your passion.
#2 Find out where it’s raining and lay down a tarp.”
Dake added, “If you do those two things, you will succeed.”
As you pursue your dreams consider these questions:
- What are the needs people have that you might help with?
- Do you find yourself frustrated or disappointed that a problem isn’t being solved, a service isn’t offered, or a need isn’t being fulfilled? Instead of complaining, are you the one who should be doing something about it?
- Is someone else meeting a need you see, but not doing it in the way you think it should be done?
- Can you standardize or improve a current process or project?
- Can you give voice to something that will create productivity, profit, or peace? Is there an elephant in the room that needs to be addressed?
This episode’s Dream Tending Tips:
- Dare to risk. A dream grower needs an entrepreneurial spirit—but does not make foolish choices.
- Be willing to sacrifice temporarily, so you can have what you want ultimately. When you don’t owe any money, you hold a lot of decision-making power.
- Put a solid financial plan in place, and use it as your roadmap to success.
- Approach debt from a prevention and reduction strategy. Start paying debt down as much as you can, as fast as you can—and don’t take on new debt.
- Set goals. Write them down. Put a date stamp on them.
- Save more money and be more conscientious with spending when you’re younger. But don’t beat yourself up for mistakes—transform them into learning lessons.
- You’re the product of the things you listen to, the books you read, the environment you hang out in, and the people you spend time with. Screen what you allow into your mind and sphere of influence to ensure you fill yourself with those things and people that will help you achieve your dreams.
- Listen to successful people and disregard the opinions of those whose own lives are a wreck, but want to tell you how to live yours.
- Grab the Tending Your Dreams’ free giveaways and discounts from every episode. Go to tendyourdreams.com/freebie2 for your gift, just for tuning in. This month’s product discount is 20% off on all autographed books. Enter the coupon code TYD20 to snatch your deal.
Discover more at tendyourdreams.com.