What kind of legacy will you leave behind? What kind of imprint will you leave when you pass on? Taking a very short excerpt from John McCain and Mark Salter’s book, The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations, we look at why tending our dreams is so important.
Don’t take your blessings for granted. The little things like the ability to get walk and get a drink of water, or to take a shower or bath, make it possible for us to work toward making our dreams come true. For many around the world, those daily luxuries would be the dream come true.
Slow down and think about what others have sacrificed. Are we ungrateful? Are our expectations reasonable? Or, are our difficulties catalysts for a greater purpose?
Don’t discount the value possible from the knowledge you gain or the growth you experience, when facing hard times. People who’ve made great differences, like John McCain, are people who have also endured great pain.
Never lose sight of your opportunities and blessings, or the need to celebrate with people you care about, and who care about you.
- What is your motive behind the dreams you wish to tend?
- Do you remember to focus on gratitude and purpose, regardless of the challenges you face?
- Are you maintaining your important relationships as you chase the dreams in your heart?
Determine to never give up—no matter how tough things get.
Cultivate and tend your relationships, so your dreams will be sweeter, because you have people to share with.
This episode’s Dream Planting Tips:
- Hitting targets and making goals doesn’t have the same impact without people to share and celebrate with.
- Invest in your family and friends. Live life fully and in a balanced way.
- Take occasional breaks from your own dream—give yourself periodic mental breaks to infuse yourself with fresh energy.
- Schedule relationship time. Intentionality trumps spontaneity. Every. Single. Time!
- Things and accomplishments will not hold your hand as you pass into eternity, but if you are intentional to maintain your relationships, your loved ones will.
- Determine and decide to reflect on your blessings, versus focusing on the storms of life. Everything you go through offers you a choice.
- Will you allow adversity to defeat or define you?
- Or will adversity project and propel you into becoming more efficient and effective with what you are called to do with your life?
- Resolve to become one of the 1% who succeeds at a high quality level.
- Turn problems upside down—turning them into surprising solutions.
- Set goals (with dates, timestamps, and deadlines) to help you achieve your dreams.
- Focus on the business side of dream tending, as well as the inspiration and the perspiration.
- Surround yourself by other dream-doers. People who aren’t just thinking or talking, but who are the dreamers that dream and the doers that do.
- Grab the Tending Your Dreams’ free giveaways and discounts from every episode. Go to tendyourdreams.com/freebie7 for your gift, just for tuning in. Don’t forget our product discount—20% off on all autographed books. Enter the coupon code TYD20 to snatch your deal.
Discover additional dream tending tips at tendyourdreams.com.