I confess, I once felt the sting of jealousy over people I saw living out their dreams. It’s a terrible thing to feel deep inside as if you are made for something more, or there’s a greater purpose for you, but you just cannot figure it out.
But as I began to reflect on my childhood, I recalled my love of reading, so much so, that I loved the idea of it before I could even do it. I actually cried because I was so desperate to know how to read.
In books, I discovered I could escape, I could learn things, I could overcome. Reading unlocked an amazing world for me. And books taught me how to dream bigger. I’m a classic poor country girl who was raised on hard work ethics, creative pursuit, and Christian values. You can get a glimpse of my background here.
But I understand, reading may not be your particular passion.
Consider these questions:
- What is that thing that gets your blood pumping or gets you out of bed in the morning?
- So what if it’s geeky?
- Who cares whether other people are interested in what excites you or not?
This is your dream—not theirs.
Have you allowed the dirt of life to cover your dream? Dig it up.
This episode’s Dream Planting Tips:
- Don’t let disbelief and fear hold you back. Gather your courage and ask yourself daily, What is the next best step I should take toward making my dream come true?
- Set specific goals, with details and date stamps on them, giving you a specific target to shoot for. In my case, I set a goal to read 100 books on the craft and business of writing within two years. (I finished in eighteen months.) When I was finished, I had the equivalent of a master’s degree in writing.
- Seek professional help: experts, associations, conferences, training sessions, etc.
- Practice while you learn. (By the time I achieved my book reading goal on writing, I had two completed book proposals. Because I was prepared when opportunity presented itself, I ended up signing with a fantastic literary agency.)
- Don’t treat your dream like a ball and chain. Remind yourself you “get to” do this, you don’t “have to.”
- Face your fear down. Don’t let fear-based thinking keep your dreams buried. Instead, ask yourself, How will I feel if life passes me by, and I don’t at least try? What if I miss my chance at success because I gave in to the fear of failure?
- Remember, perseverance and hard work provides the magic and the mystic behind making dreams come true. Do one thing, achieve a daily goal, that moves you toward fulfilling your purpose and passion.
- Determine and pray to become one of the one. One of the 1% who succeed in transforming their dreams into reality. Be a doer, not a thinker, dreamer, or talker only.
- Remember the importance of tending your dream once it becomes reality. Don’t allow your dream to die. You were made to fulfill an abundant purpose.
Grab the Tending Your Dreams’ free giveaways and discounts from every episode. Go to tendyourdreams.com/freebie1 for your gift, just for tuning in. This month’s product discount is 20% off on all autographed books. Enter the coupon code TYD20 to snatch your deal.